Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Choons of 2021


"We're walking in the air
We're floating in the moonlit sky"


Figured I'd post the songs I bumped the most this year and since I created this blog in December, lists feel like a necessary obligation. Also, it's a therapeutic way to rid 2021, before I start stretching my feet and getting my groove on with the type of content I want to focus on in the new year.

Choons of 2021

Judge Bitch - Night Owl (2021)

Cyberthing! - Megaweb Storm (Masked Remix) (2021)

Thee Lakesiders - Can't Fool Me Twice (2021)

beabadoobee - Last Day On Earth (2021)

LukHash feat. Meredith Bull - Dying Breath (2021)

Redman - 80 Barz (2021)

 El Michels Affair - Murkit Gem (2021)

Painkiller - The Ripper (2021) 

Sexual Purity - Don't Touch (2021)

Lady Wray - Under The Sun (2021)

Boldy James & The Alchemist - Double Hockey Sticks (2021)

Sha Hef - Money Counter (2021)

The Weeknd - Take My Breath (2021)

Joy Crookes - Feet Don't Fail Me Now (2021)

Solemn Brigham - Dirty Whip (2021) 

Ka - I Need All That (2021)

Raheem DeVaughn & Apollo Brown - I Still Love You (2021)

Homeboy Sandman - Go Hard (2021)

Isaiah Rashad - Headshots (4r Da Locals) (2021)

Yota - Blame Me (2021)

Thee Sacred Souls - Will I See You Again? (2021)

Ozzy Osbourne & Motörhead - Hellraiser (30th Anniversary Edition) (2021)

 

 Not So New Songs Discovered In 2021

Atomic Rooster - Devil's Answer (1971)

Janko Nilovic - Roses And Revolvers (1973)

Vivien Goldman - Launderette (1981)

Lex - Fourteen Days (1983) 

Steffanie - Run For Your Love (1985)

Ozric Tentacles - Kick Muck (1989)

Congress - 40 Miles (1991)

The Jimi Entley Sound - Charlie's Theme (2002)

Turbulence - Notorious (2006)

Yuno - Fall In Love (2018) 

Trish Toledo - Can't Wait To See You (2020)

Aaron Frazer - Over You (2020)

Night Owl went from my least liked track off Temple Serpent to my fave over the span of the year. It's easily my go-to running in the park like an absolute nutter choon this year.

Bangers for sure, but both the LukHash and Ka joints were the only real strong cuts off their respective albums to me. At this point, the former is a one hit one wonder, while I expected so much more from Ka, to be honest.

Was completely taken by surprise by just how much I love that new version of Hellraiser; the video is a real eyesore compared to the classic Lemmy and the lads playing poker with Pinhead video, though.

I feel like Iron Maiden's The Time Machine deserves an honourable mention since I'm typing away; it's the only song I begrudgingly like off Senjutsu. That's largely attributed to three minutes of Bruce Bruce's warbling and melancholic filler before it truly gets going with the vintage Maiden sound. Just like Quentin Tarantino, the boys badly need an editor not afraid to give them the snip.

5 comments:

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

This is the only other year end list I've read which includes Beabaadoobee AND Homeboy Sandman, so it gets my seal of approval.

Spartan said...

That means a lot, blud. Think I learnt about both those songs from you. Appreciate the schoolin'.

Been meaning to check out that pinkpatheress mixtape/album joint,too.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

This PinkPantheress songs pushes my same buttons as Break It Off.

The other single from Beabaadoobee's EP is harder than most òf the stuff they play on KerrangTV.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Also, that Dying Breath song is a jam 4 real.

Spartan said...

That pinkpantheress song is seriously great. I just wish her songs were longer. Both her and beabadoobee make me have faith for Gen Z.

Bought We Are Stardust for Dying Breath alone. Was the only track I enjoyed off that album. To add insult to injury, like a right div, I mistakenly purchased the MiniDisc instead of the CD. Hardly anyone even had a MD player back in the day, let alone now.