Tuesday, June 30, 2026

Viewings: June 2026

Chances are The Plumber might have been a dreary sex comedy starring Robin Askwith if it was made in Great Britain. Thankfully, Peter Weir's film is an entertaining blend of absurdist comedy and psychological thriller from Australia. I knew it was going to be good once I saw this clip online. 

Blogger is still "buggered", like Jill's pipes. 

Film:
The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case (James Parrott, 1930) ^ 
Oliver the Eighth (Lloyd French, 1934) ^ 
The Red Menace (R. G. Springsteen, 1949)
Spaceways (Terence Fisher, 1953)
Ashes and Diamonds (Andrzej Wajda, 1958) 
The Reptile (John Gilling, 1966) 
Danger: Diabolik (Mario Bava, 1968) 
The Plumber (Peter Weir, 1979) 
Man Bites Dog (Rémy Belvaux, André Bonzel & Benoît Poelvoorde, 1990) 
Triangle (Christopher Smith, 2009)  
Citizen Vigilante (Uwe Boll, 2026)
Greenland 2: Migration (Ric Roman Waugh, 2026)
Project Hail Mary (Phil Lord & Chrisopher Miller, 2026)
 
Television:
 Moviedrome: Welcome to the Cult (Nic Wassell, 2025)

 

 Rewatch

^ Short  

 

Dada Debaser Notes:

  • Ashes and Diamonds is considered one of the best films ever according to film making luminaries Francis Ford Coppola and Martin Scorsese. I wish it clicked for me like it did for them. Great cinematography, though. I reckon Brian De Palma might have borrowed the fireworks scene from the film and used it in Blow Out.
  • The Red Menace is a far too dull to be the Red Scare equivalent of Reefer Madness. Yvonne Kraus AKA Greta Blok would have been a successful Twitch streamer, if she was around today, however.
  • The first Greenland was an unexpectedly decent disaster flick; its sequel, however, is a lacklustre effort. Greater plot holes than the ridiculous giant crater in France that happens to be an oasis of life.
  • Citizen Vigilante is absolutley awful and the worst 2026 film thus far.
  • The more I think about it, the more I realise that Project Hail Mary is essentially Interstellar with MCU quips. I might have overrated it on Letterboxd.

Last month, it was Hammer's Dracula (1958) announcement; this month, it's Ken Russell's The Devils getting the uncut treatment:

The Devils | Teaser
Ken Russell | 1971

4 comments:

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

That clip from The Plumber is a true IRL nightmare scenario. Made even better by featuring incidental music often used in P:CBH.

Spartan said...

Brian Bennett’s Dark Side.

I love how that scene goes mental so swiftly.

The Flashback Fanatic said...

CITIZEN VIGILANTE must be the most high profile Uwe Boll movie yet. I would imagine Elon Musk running it on his X platform has given it far more exposure (and notoriety) than it otherwise would have achieved. I am only intrigued about it to see if it is truly as awful as so much of the internet comments suggest.

I have never seen one of Boll's flicks, but he has had a long-standing rep as a bad filmmaker. What little I have heard about his subject matter has never appealed to me, but is his work really worse than so much disposable, direct-to-video, action junk of the past thirty years?

Spartan said...

I thought there were shreds of interesting ideas in the first two films of Boll's Rampage trilogy. In the capable hands of a better writer/director they might have been better executed (no pun intended), rather than just courting controversy for the sake of attention.

Citizen Vigilante is way worse than those films. Even if you were to separate its political messaging, it's a fundamental failure on every technical level. It even fails to adhere to the rudimentary formula of the vigilante movie: transgression; metamorphosis; and retribution. Without a doubt the worst film of 2026 thus far.