Tuesday, January 16, 2024

289 Days to Halloween (Silver Shamrock)

Welcome to the annual John Carpenter birthday post, where I briefly write something about the gawd and fake it like I planned it.

The great man might not have helmed Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982), but he certainly had his hand all over it; from writing, producing and scoring it. Much like his remake of The Thing (1982), folks hated on the film, largely because of the notable absences of Michael Myers, Laurie Strode and Dr. Loomis. Personally, I always thought the haters were fools as it's the second best film in the entire franchise. Audience approval has been much kinder since then, thankfully.

John Carpenter & Alan Howarth - Main Title/Chariots of Pumpkins
Halloween III: Season of the Witch OST, 1982

The soundtrack is completely stellar, thanks to an incredible synth score from both John Carpenter and Alan Howarth; Personal favourites being the Main Title and Chariots of the Pumpkins which perfectly compliment one another as one epic track, in my opinion.

Can't believe I've not done a  proper dedicated post on one of Carpenter's films yet.

6 comments:

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

First Halloween flick I ever saw. A big fave of me and my m8s in high school.

Spartan said...

I watched Halloween before this one. Don't think I ever saw Halloween II until much later on.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

You seen that Scala!!! documentary yet? The only documentary I've ever seen to feature talking head appearances from John Waters, the bloke from S'Express, Kim Newman and the bird who plays Martin Clunes' love interest in Doc Martin.

Spartan said...

No, I haven't... any good? Kermode seemed to like it.

I never went to The Scala during its heyday; always heard stories about it, though.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

It's very good, although it does feature a token couple of annoying fat lesbian talking heads. My first cinema viewing of 2024.

Spartan said...

Blue-haired land whales and septum pierced ostriches tend to appear quite often in docs about genre cinema. I’ll try and check it out, if I can.