Wednesday, August 30, 2023

At Midnight I'll Take Your Wallet

Arrow Films is experiencing something of a redemption arc in 2023: from its lavish Bruce Lee 4K box set to its ode to eighties video store shelf fillers. For your host, its most attractive release was announced recently with the upcoming curation of Brazilian horror film maker José Mojica Marins - Inside the Mind of Coffin Joe.

Can't say I've seen every Coffin Joe film ever released, but this set includes far more titles than the one on my old 2009 DVD set with poor picture quality. What makes the creepy and thoroughly misanthropic undertaker's films so appealing to me are how they blend gothic horror with Jodorowsky levels of surrealism. The last Coffin Joe film I watched was the spectacularly bloody Embodiment of Evil (2008) and didn't lose any of the insanity of its predecessors.

Hyped for this set as I've been craving more vintage Latin American film oddities since discovering The Curious Dr. Humpp (1969) during the Covid lockdowns, but this is a rather pricey release. Of course, waiting for it to eventually go on sale runs the risk of it going out of stock and leaving me kicking myself for delaying it. FOMO's a bitch (and then you die)!

This Night I'll Possess Your Corpse (Original Trailer)
José Mojica Marins, 1967 

No comments: