Saturday, May 6, 2023

Like a Bird Out of Hell

Joe Dante on Hatching
Trailers from Hell, 2023
 

Hanna Bergholm's Hatching (2022) was one of the best films I watched last year, and seeing it getting some shine in a recent episode from the web series, Trailers from Hell, was a pleasant surprise. Even more unexpected, is that it's the legendary Joe Dante giving the film some much deserved love; dispelling the myth that boomers are out of touch with cinema of today.

Considering Hatching was either so under the radar of most film heads that it never got a chance breaking into the mainstream spotlight, or potentially mis-labelled with the wildly pretentious "elevated horror" tag, any kind of positive commentary, especially when it's uttered by an esteemed director such as Joe Dante, is a welcome one.

6 comments:

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Dante has always been a man of impeccable taste.

(Not that I've managed to see Hatching yet but I trust his and your takes on it.)

Spartan said...

Defintely worth seeing Hatching whenever you have the opportunity.

My YouTube subscriptions was flooded with 21 Trailers from Hell videos this morning. One of those instances where spamming can put me on to a bunch of movies I've been sleeping on; e.g Virus (1980).

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Youtube algorithm is the ONLY good algorithm IMHO.

I'm gonna ask my m8 if he'll torrent Hatching for me and put it on his Plex.

Spartan said...

Worth asking your mate to hook you up with some streaming exclusives like Candy Land and Deadstream, too.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Tru dat. I got him to get me the last season of What We Do In The Shadows after Disney nicked it and stopped the BBC showing it.

Spartan said...

I would probably do the same if Doctor Who becomes a Disney + exclusive as well.