Sunday, January 8, 2023

Picks of 2013

2013 may have been the year Miley Cyrus achieved the impossible and turned twerking cringeworthy, but it happened to be a productive year for film (for my standards at least). Colour me surprised just how diverse the year really was that I hadn't even realised until ten years had passed.

The passage of time had also made me kinder towards certain films that annoyed me initially, like the Evil Dead remake or Simon Pegg's excrutiatingly, annoying whining prominently featured in The World's End.

Alan Partidge: Alpha Papa (Declan Lowney)

Blue is the Warmest Colour (Abdellatif Kechiche)

The Borderlands (Elliot Goldner)

The Conjuring (James Wan)

The Den (Zachary Donohue)

Evil Dead (Fede Alvarez)

Filth (Jon S. Baird)

I Spit on Your Grave 2 (Steven R. Monroe)

Nymphomaniac: Vol. I & II (Lars von Trier)

Only God Forgives (Nicolas Winding Refn)

Pain & Gain (Michael Bay)

Riddick (David Twohy)

Spring Breakers (Harmony Korine)

The Strange Colour of Your Body's Tears (Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani)

Under the Skin (Jonathan Glazer)

Venus in Fur (Roman Polanski)

V/H/S/2 (Simon Barret, Adam Wingard, Eduardo Sánchez, Greg Hale, Timo Tjahjanto, Gareth Evans & Jason Eisener)

Why Don't You Play in Hell? (Sion Sono)

Wolf Creek 2 (Greg McLean)

The Wolf of Wall Street (Martin Scorsese)

The World's End (Edgar Wright)

You're Next (Adam Wingard)*

Additionally, 2013 was also noteworthy because Harmony Korine's knack in passing off exploitation movies as sophisticated cinema for gullible kino heads and my general lowbrow sense of humour had actually found common ground with Spring Breakers. A hilarious film that I've watched on multiple occasions; unlike anything else I've seen by him. The Everytime montage scene alone makes it a winner, in my humble opinion.

4 comments:

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I really need to revisit The World's End. Only ever seen it once when I came home late night drunk and have barely any memory of it.

Spartan said...

Best way to watch most films, imo.

Loved the use of 20 Seconds to Comply for the film's pub fight sequence. Worked way better than that Queen song featured in the first film.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Damn, I must have been drunk because I don't remember that and a pub fight scene soundtracked by Silver Bullet is something which is very much relevant to my interests.

Spartan said...

Wright one of the few directors out there to sync choons with films without making it feel like some glorified music video.