Wednesday, June 8, 2022

The Moment I Feared: Part 2

Salem's Lot (First Window Scene)
Tobe Hooper, 1979

Ask any discerning horror film fan and creepy kids are far more terrifying than your run-of-the-mill machete wielding maniac. A great example is Tobe Hooper's classic mini-series adapation of Stephen King's (remember when he was good?) Salem's Lot (1979). There were a bunch of great scenes throughout the two episodes, like Reggie Nalder's iconic, Kurt Barlow (no relation to Ken), but the big scare for yours truly was witnessing little undead Ralphie Glick floating in mid air and scratching at his brother, Danny's bedroom window. Seeing that kid hovering outside a first floor window in his jim-jams with that ghastly grimace, was pure nightmare fuel for a prepubescent Sparty. A remarkably bloodless scene, but abundantly atmospheric in its execution. Proof enough that Tobe Hooper was never ever a one-trick pony with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974). I mean, Hooper already made Eaten Alive (1976) by then, but I didn't even know about that film when I was a kid.

Astonishingly, this scene has left a huge lasting impression for this blogger and it serves as a constant reminder to never forget to draw the bedroom curtains. Not just because of some pervy peeping tom outside my yard, but the odd chance some creepy vampire child might be floating outside my bedroom window. Chances of such a ridiculous scenario ever happening are obviously zero, but having such a chilling memory etched upon you from such a young age, it kind of carves a slither of doubt upon the grey matter, innit? In any case, Salem's Lot will always get props from me for providing one of those rare times I was too shook to sleep.

2 comments:

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Same, but for me it was the scene in The Lost Boys where Jason Patric is floating outside Corey Haim's bedroom window. Perfect mixture or terror and humour.

"You're a vampire, I knew it!"

"I am not!"

"So, what are you - the flying nun?"

Spartan said...

I was always in awe of how cool the Lost Boys were with their cave crib.

Didn't find out until only recently that Jason Patric was the son of Jason Miller from The Exorcist.