Wednesday, February 2, 2022

We Don't Talk About Bruno

Much like hoping for Rochelle Humes or Holly Willoughby being on This Morning only to be greeted with Alison Hammond, I'm bitterly diappointed at every old vid I would often revisit being now blocked by an age verification screen. However, bless the YouTube algorithm for hitting me up with this funky little gem after bumpin' some old Italian soundtracks over the last few weeks. It really is the wrath of the math, because I had never even heard of Bruno Canfora let alone his tune Dirty Gang until recently. 

Taken from the 1976 Umberto Lenzi helmed poliziottesco Il trucido e lo sbirro, AKA Free Hand for a Tough Cop (it's the one where Tomas Milian has the Kevin Keegan wig), this film never had an official soundtrack based on all the digging I could find out about it. However, Dirty Gang was originally released as the A-side on a 7" vinyl single, with a terrible folksy pop number called Dirty Ballad, which is more Bruno Tonioli than Bruno Canfora. The B-Side definitely does not win again this time around. The single was rereleased last year by a label called Four Flies - guessing it's a soundtrack label based on the Argento movie reference name.

Really feelin' Dirty Gang, as it's got the playful piano, funky bongos, a soulful ghetto flute and a head noddin' drum beat that makes me go bowlin' into Waitrose during lunch feeling like a major drug deal is about to go down near the sandwiches section. If any tune can make me feel like that, then it's a true winner in my book.

Bruno Canfora - Dirty Gang
(Il trucido e lo sbirro, AKA Free Hand for a Tough Cop 7" inch single, 1976 & 2021)

 

4 comments:

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I had the age verification thing happen to me on YouTube loads last year, but most of the videos which were blocked seem to work again now.

Spartan said...

Didn't bother me so much when sites back in the day would ask for D.O.B, but asking for credit card info seems suspect to me.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Yeah, scanning a credit card or driver's licence to watch a rap video or a horror movie? I don't think so, m8.