Tuesday, May 14, 2024

It’s Ya Boi Francis!

Confession: I haven't watched anything helmed by Francis Ford Coppola since Dracula (1992) (incidentally, my mate Larry still owes me £3.50 for the ticket). Despite a series of commercial flops, Coppola's name still carries weight, however. Not many folk can get to brag about directing The Godfather I & II (1972 - 1974), The Conversation (1974) and Apocalypse Now (1979); effectively turning him into a titan in film circles.

Megalopolis (Trailer)
Francis Ford Coppola, 2024
 

Much like Phil Tippett perservering with his decades old insanity-fest, Mad God (2022), Coppola deserves equal respect for finally turning his passion project, Megalopolis (2024), which he started working on back in the early eighties apparently, into a reality. Too early to say whether his sci-fi epic will be a winner or not, but considering the equine looking Adam Driver is starring in the film, and the trailer hasn't made me want to wretch in disgust, it looks like the film might be worth peeping.

"Smash the like button!"
Another admirable aspect about Megalopolis, is the fact that Francis Ford Coppola has set up his own YouTube page to promote his latest artistic endeavour. His sub count has jumped significantly since the release of a preview clip from a few days ago. Fingers crossed he doesn't potentially start yelling, "Please like, comment and subscribe!" or having baked in promo ads for his wine in any future uploads.

12 comments:

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Only flick of his I've seen post-Godfather III is Tetro and the draw there was Gallo.

Spartan said...

Twixt was always on my watchlist, but couldn't find the film anywhere. Eventually gave up on it.

Unrelated, but have you seen Love Lies Bleeding yet? Worth checking out if you haven't.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I haven't. Started going to a movie club at my local indie cinema and a couple of the folk there were praising that.

Managed to convince them to show After Hours on the big screen next month.

Spartan said...

Worth seeing for Ed Harris's side hair alone. The ending didn't bother me like it did for some other folk.

After Hours is a good choice for a movie club. Would definitely turn up for that than something like Bicycle Thieves.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Went to see Love Lies Bleeding last night. Thelma & Roid Rage/The Incredible Dyke. Body Horror meets Face Horror. Good movie. Buncha stuff made me wince - the blocked bog, the injections, Stewart sucking the other bird's toe.

Spartan said...

Kermode also referenced Cronenberg in his Love Lies Bleeding review too. Kristen Stewart looking like a greasy crusty was probably my biggest hang-up.

You going to see Furiousa next week? Hyped for it, but it's two and half hours long and I'm not sure my bladder will let me watch it in peace.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I am. Gotta not drink anything for hours beforehand, and do some knee exercises during the trailers.

Spartan said...

Getting to the point where men of a certain age will need to go on a dehydration diet just to watch a film.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Did you see the trailer for this when you caught Love Lies Bleeding? Very promising.

Spartan said...

Nope, but that does look fun, though. In the wake of RRR, I tried watching Jawan last year, but gave up as I couldn't get into it. This looks potentially better.

Have you seen the trailer for The Demon Disorder? Starting to believe in an Aussie horror renaissance.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

Oh shit, looks good.

Speaking of Aussies, I caught The Cars That Ate Paris on the big screen last sunday. First time I've seen it in full. Tickled my same 'bloke stranded in weird Aussie backwater community' tastebuds as Wake In Fright.

Spartan said...

I've never seen The Cars That Ate Paris, but I remember always seeing it on the shelves in video rental shops back in the day.

On the subject of Wake in Fright, Umbrella Entertainment recently announced a 4K restoration of the film being in the works. Fingers crossed it gets distributed over here.