Thursday, December 7, 2023

Minus One + 14 = Unlucky for Some

Some old crooner once sang about this being the most wonderful time of the year; I vehemently disagree. This isn't a rant about the woes related to the festive period, but a simple question from an aging film junkie: why is Godzilla Minus One (2023) being released in the UK a fortnight after countries like Tajikstan and Uzbekistan?

A two week wait might not be a big deal to some, but juggling the chance of catching a niche movie* with limited screenings (based on my local theatre's dates) during the annual Christmas rush is a mission and a half for folks like me this time of the year.

Truth be told, I'm a King Kong man myself, but the chance of rounding off a disappointing film year with what potentially could be a final act of redemption for 2023 has me attracted to the film like a Mothra to a flame.


* Kaiju movie or not, if it's a foreign film with English subtitles, then it's niche according to my local multiplex.

No comments: