Friday, November 17, 2023

Knick Knack Patty Wack

The cold-blooded and methodical protagonist. The hit that goes wrong. The friend or foe dilemma. The big payback. Stop me if you've seen this one before, but the premise of David Fincher's latest offering, the imaginatively titled The Killer (2023) is like every other hitman movie ever made.

Always enjoyed Michael Fassbender's performances, but the reason for even bothering with this entirely generic film was based squarely on him wearing a bucket hat. A real shame that the titular character's music playlist consisted entirely of songs by The Smiths when it really ought to have been those stalwarts of the aforementioned head gear EPMD.

Doubt I'll ever bother watching The Killer again; even if I did enjoy Fassbender's Patrick Bateman-esque internal monologues. Regardless, this is an opportune reason to post a scene from John Woo's hitman classic (and Red Heat soundtrack jacka) also imaginatively called The Killer (1989):

The Killer (Church Shoot Out Scene)
John Woo, 1989

2 comments:

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I wasted £8.50 watching this at the cinema during its very brief general release. I didn't hate it, but agreed on it being generic, and I don't pay money to have Morrissey's music inflicted on me.

Spartan said...

Le Samouraï it defintiely ain't. Surprised by all the praise I've seen for it.

Didn't know about Morrisey getting cancelled until only recently. Really should have been EPMD on Fassbender's playlist, tbh.