Friday, July 24, 2026

20/2020s

The Zone of Interest (Jonathan Glazer, 2023)
Dinner in America (Adam Rehmeier, 2020)
The Northman (Robert Eggers, 2022)
Mad God (Phil Tippett, 2021)
The Substance (Coralie Fargeat, 2024)
Obsession (Curry Barker, 2025)
Benedetta (Paul Verhoeven, 2021)
Hatching (Hanna Bergholm, 2022)
No One Will Save You (Brian Duffield, 2023)
Crimes of the Future (David Cronenberg, 2022)
Furiosa: A Mad Max Story (George Miller, 2024)
Godzilla Minus One (Takashi Yamazaki, 2023)
R.R.R. (S.S. Rajamouli, 2022)
Deadstream (Joseph Winter & Vanessa Winter, 2022)
Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright, 2021)
MadS (David Moreau, 2024)
The Furious (Kenji Tanigaki, 2025)
Apples (Christos Nikou, 2020)
Anora (Sean Baker, 2024)
Warfare (Ray Mendoza & Alex Garland, 2025)

If you're unfamiliar with the 20/2020s meta, it's essentially your top twenty films of the decade.

It took me just over six and a half years to complete this; which is about six years longer than the average, smooth-brained Letterboxd user when they compiled one.

I wouldn’t say I’m a stickler for perfection, but it took me a while to find enough worthy films that cut through all the noise and glazing. The list is also a constant reminder that I haven't reviewed Dinner in America or Last Night in Soho yet.

With three years and some change left, there are bound to be a bunch of future titles which will qualify and switch up the current list above. At least, I hope so. Imagine the cultural landscape if there weren’t.

6 comments:

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

I'd have some of those + these:

Robot Dreams
Brian and Charles
Wallace & Gromit: Vengeance Most Foul
Spree
The Surfer

Spartan said...

I still really need to see Spree.

Kind of shocked that both Mad God and The Sadness are available to stream on Channel 5's website. Way too gnarly for British TV.

Kelvin Mack10zie said...

No way. I wanna see Mad God after your continued luh for it.

Spartan said...

That film is an insane masterpiece. Feel sorry for the poor kid who ends up watching it instead of Peppa Pig, though.

The Flashback Fanatic said...

GODZILLA MINUS ONE is the one flick on your list I have seen. I thought it was well done and it quite economically matched Hollywood's special-effects expertise.

Your list has reminded me once again that I need to see LAST NIGHT IN SOHO.

Spartan said...

What's impressive about Godzilla Minus One, is its ability to be a kaiju movie with effects virtually on par with Hollywood's own attempts, on a fraction of their budgets, and still feature a better human story. Looking forward to the upcoming sequel.

I might be completely alone here, but I seem to be the only person who considers Last Night in Soho to be a great film. The general consensus for Edgar Wright's time hopping giallo has been overwhelmingly negative.